The vision of The People Church | First Baptist Moriarty is to Build Community, Give Hope, and Make Disciples. Our Growth Groups serve as a key resource for Making Disciples by creating an environment for discipleship and leadership development to take place. This happens by focusing on six different areas: fellowship, teaching, prayer, ministry, accountability, and multiplication.
Each month we will highlight a different Growth Group to allow you to get to know others in the church and maybe learn about ministries that you may be unfamiliar with. This month we are highlighting the Richard/Pettit Growth Group.
Group Leaders: Bill Richard & Rick Pettit
- How long have you been leading this Growth Group? 8 or 9 years
- When and where do you meet? Sunday mornings at 9:15 a.m. at The People Church in Room 212
- Who is the “typical” member of your group? While our growth group has no age restrictions, the majority of the members are in their 50’s or above and many are empty-nesters.
- What curriculum are you studying? D-Life Bible Study that covers the entire New Testament in one year. Each week our members read five chapters and summarize what they see as the important thoughts in each chapter. Additionally, there is a selected passage within the five chapters that is specified for additional study driven by a series of about ten questions. On Sunday mornings, four preselected volunteers lead the group study. The four responsibilities are 1) Lead Prayer Time; 2) Read the Focal Passage; 3) Paraphrase the Focal Passage; and 4) Facilitate the Bible Study.
- What fellowship and mission activities have you had in the past six months? Provided clothes for disabled veterans; enjoyed breakfast together prior to Bible study; delivered donuts to police officers; served at the Easter celebration; enjoyed a potluck and a movie together; helped clean the church to allow Buffy to attend the Lives Ablaze Youth Conference at Inlow.
- What fellowship and mission activities are scheduled for the next few months? Two fellowships in the country; provide treats for the Kids’ Bible Club; serve at the Movies in the Park; deliver Blessing Bags; Christmas potluck and white elephant gift exchange.
- What are some other interesting facts about your group? Besides the fellowship and mission activities listed above, most of the members have additional personal ministries that they lead or are involved in throughout the year.