The vision of The People Church | First Baptist Moriarty is to Build Community, Give Hope, and Make Disciples. Our Growth Groups serve as a key resource for Making Disciples by creating an environment for discipleship and leadership development to take place. This happens by focusing on six different areas: fellowship, teaching, prayer, ministry, accountability, and multiplication.
Each month we will highlight a different Growth Group to allow you to get to know others in the church and maybe learn about ministries that you may be unfamiliar with. This month we are highlighting the Luckett/Walmsley Growth Group.
Group Leaders: Shari Luckett and Tom Walmsley
- How long have you been leading this Growth Group? My name is Shari Luckett, and I have led our class through our studies for eleven years. In January of this year we combined our class with Tom Walmsley’s class. Tom and I co-lead our growth group.
- When and where do you meet? We meet on Sunday mornings at 9:15 a.m. at The People Church in Room 304.
- Who is the “typical” member of your group? Our group is mainly seniors and retired men and women.
- What curriculum are you studying? In January of this year our Pastor, Dennis Garcia, introduced a one-year study of the Bible called D-Life Bible Study. Personally, I was very happy to open my Bible and go directly to the scripture. It has opened up many stimulating discussions in our group.
- What fellowship and mission activities have you had in the past six months? Our group participated in the Spring Celebration in the park for Easter – always a fun and powerful outreach opportunity. We had a fellowship meal with our Pastor and his family at the Pizza Barn in Edgewood. Our group spent a great Saturday at the Bethel Storehouse putting together toy bags for the store. Linda Smith from Bethel Storehouse hopes to see us again soon, especially around the holidays. We have donated office supplies and cleaning products for the Read-Write program that was greatly appreciated. We also happily participate in the Fall Harvest Celebration at our own church.
- What fellowship and mission activities are scheduled for the next few months? On September 11th we plan to have a pot-luck lunch after church in our classroom to love on Shirley Maldonado and God willing, Toshi Danner. We hope to share future meals together in our homes. We will continue to look for opportunities to serve in our community. We also take an offering once a month and distribute these funds where, as our class, we decide there is a need.
What are some other interesting facts about your group? We are blessed with a love for Christ, and He has given us a sense of joy and much good humor. We laugh and cry together as a group/family.